Kaari's kitchen

Fried 'Nduma' (Arrowroot) in Wheat Flakes

0




I like ‘nduma’. A lot. Boiled, fried, stewed…love it! Not so much for my munchkin. She calls it ‘baby’ food. I know…ridiculous! So today I am staring three arrow roots down in my kitchen…thinking “How to ‘munchkinfy’” nduma…then it hit me!
Nduma is a root tuber, mostly eaten for breakfast or as a snack. For any person watching the amount of carbohydrates they consume, this is the perfect alternative to the potato as it contains less calories.
So as I was looking around the kitchen, I spotted one of munchkins favorite cereals and beamed: D GOTCHA! And this is how it went down…

You will need:
3 arrow roots
3 pieces of Weetabix
2 eggs
Nutmeg

Let’s Cook!
Wash the root tuber, as it usually comes with dirt, and peel off the skin. Wash the peeled ‘nduma’ again and cut into 1 inch thick pieces. It is important to keep the ‘nduma’ in water at all times after peeling to avoid oxidation. Pour the ‘nduma’ into a pan and boil for 30 minutes.
While the arrowroot is boiling, crush the three pieces of Weetabix in a bowl. Whisk the eggs and add a pinch of nutmeg powder.

Once the ‘nduma’ is ready, drain out the water. Heat a pan and add vegetable oil. When the oil is reasonably hot, reduce the heat as we shall be frying in low heat. Piece by piece, pick up the ‘nduma’, dip in the egg first and then in the wheat flake bowl. 

 Tip: Use one hand to soak the egg and the other to cover with flakes. Ensure that the flakes completely cover the ‘nduma’. The egg acts as the ‘glue’ to make sure the flakes stick to the ‘nduma’.
Place the nduma in the pan and let it cook for about 1 minute, then turn it over and repeat for another minute. Take the ‘nduma’ out and place on a serviette to drain out any excess oil.
End Game
Now, because Munchkin loves her cereal with banana, I went in for the ‘kill’ and served her ‘wheatomas’ with slices of banana! She had no idea what hit her and kept giving me quizzical looks, trying to ask me ‘Wash ish ish?’ (What is this?) In between mouthfuls! You really need to try this. You will impress yourself and surprise your loved ones!

0 comments:

Post a Comment